Monday 9 January 2012

Our Idiot Brother


Is Paul Rudd's latest comedy as a hippie as good as his other offerings?

Synopsis
Ned lived a happy life growing organic vegetables on a farm with his hippie girlfriend and his dog named Willie Nelson, but an incident with marijuana at a farmer's market lands him in jail. When he gets out of jail, he lives with each of his sisters. While Ned is happy, his sisters are much less so after he manages to screw up a marriage, a job opportunity and two relationships. He sees those problems as breakdowns in communication, but his sisters see him as an idiot.

Who's In It
Paul Rudd! Doing more funny guy stuff, I'm liking this guy
Elizabeth Banks - Racking up another indie comedy for her
Emily Mortimer - This Brit is doing some diverse films
Zooey Deschanel - Another zaney role for her
Steve Coogan! Though he's a highly unlikable character in this and not particularly funny

Our Idiot Brother
What I Thought
I was a bit disappointed by this one. I'd read some good things about it and seen it on a few lists from last year where people recommended it, but it just fell a bit flat.

I thought it started out well but once he comes out jail it gets a bit heavy on the drama side with all the dysfunctional family issues between him and his sisters. Don't get me wrong, the issues are real and they're relevant, they're those hiding from reality type issues. I guess I was just expecting more of a comedy after seeing the trailer, but it's really more of a drama with funny bits in it.

The movie is ultimately quite sweet in its nature, the idiot, hippie brother and the three sisters who are all hiding from issues with their relationships or jobs. Rudd's character simply speaks his mind as he sees things and issues with the sisters develop as a result. Overall solid performances by Mortimer, Deschanel and Banks.

There are some amusing but weak outtakes in the final credits when they role, but they're not nearly as funny as the rest of the movie.

Memorable Quotes
For a comedy I was expecting a few more funny lines
  • "You always have the most gorgeous rhubarb."
    "It's Willie Nelson's poo that that gives it that glow."
  • "My God, what have you done to your vagina?"
    "It's a Brazilian."
    "Bizarre."
  • "Why are you talking so slowly?"
    "I assume since you sold weed to a uniformed police officer, you're retarded."
  • "All Miranda is saying is maybe you should look semi-fuckable part of the time."
  • "Dude, do you have tourettes? What the fuck?!"
  • "Well I'm sorry I don't have a fat, throbbing cock for you!" - said by a lesbian
Rating
2/5 - Sweet, but ultimately disappointing 

Trailer
Doesn't really give a good depiction of the movie, it's more female and family orientated drama with funny bits



If You Enjoyed This, You Might Also Like
For the guys, Role Models and I Love You, Man - both of which feature Paul Rudd


5 comments:

  1. Nice review Steve. Paul Rudd is terrific as the loveable, good-hearted, naive Ned. His warmth makes this a feel good film, but the annoying sisters take their toll and nearly ruin my Rudd buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan :) I'm really looking forward to seeing him in Wanderlust out later this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review Steve, I think I enjoyed this a bit more than you. Agree this was marketed as a comedy and is more of a dramedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Dramedy, I like that :) Yeah, from the trailer I was just expecting a funny movie, it was still entertaining though

      Delete
  4. Definitely a one-toned dramedy which was still fairly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...